New Ford EV teased

The place to discuss everything else..
Post Reply
User avatar
Sparks
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Post by Sparks »

the radman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am dont they come up with stupid ideas,that wouldnt work at all,either the cable will be stolen for scrap or someone wont refit the flap properly (its going to have to be opened and closed each time its used as you cant leave the plug end laying in the gutter) it will get full of dirt and crud and someone will trip and sue the council,they will have claims by the dozen
Never the less it's a solution and at the end of the day the EV owner would take responsibility in deploying the cable and returning it. The cable wouldn't be deployed through the channels 24/7, I guess at the end of the day those who need their hands holding through every situation are going to find whatever is offered difficult to deal with.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an EV evangelist I'd go ICE out of choice, but it seems inevitable that we are going to have to surmount all the problems eventually.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.

User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by Rob »

DB74 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am What happens where you have multiple cars per household? Do you have to have multiple chargers installed. After owning an EV I still believe there are a lot of issues to overcome and charging in all weathers is a big part of it!
Unless you both do 100’s of miles a day you won’t need to charge at the same time.

If a car can realistically do 300 miles on a charge, then for me I would only need to charge once a week, overnight at home.
User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by Rob »

Sparks wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:07 pm
Rob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:35 pm
Sparks wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:40 pm

Not really new pics.....here's a video review from a year ago....Same vehicle, the launch has been delayed so they are pushing it again.
Yeah my post was from a year ago too...

However Ford have released some information on the improvements made over the last year:

Firstly, it is now on sale

The Explorer "is a better vehicle now than we would have launched half a year ago," Martin Sander, who leads Ford's Model E electrification told Autocar. "We've used the additional time we had to get everything nailed down, to make sure that we're delivering a perfect vehicle to our customers."

The main reason for the SUV's delayed launch was that the battery it was due to use didn't comply with new UN Regulation 100.3, concerning the certification of EV safety, so Ford decided to wait until a new nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC) pack became available and re-engineer the car to accommodate it.

That new battery, as well as compliance with the new regulations, also offers a significantly higher maximum range of 374 miles - well above the 311 miles that Ford was originally targeting from the longest-legged variant.
Yep...Sorry Rob..I was in the middle of reading it all when I took a phone call and got a bit confused when I got back (doesn't take a lot.. :roll: :) )
I noticed the uprated battery, but it's still not above my 400 lower limit range...I'll be happy with that and say around 350 in winter. Price seems to have come down from predicted or am I imagining that?
No worries. Yes they have managed to get the price down on the smaller range model - however that model is not yet on sale, only the two more expensive ones at the moment.
DB74
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Location: Suffolk

Post by DB74 »

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 pm
DB74 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am What happens where you have multiple cars per household? Do you have to have multiple chargers installed. After owning an EV I still believe there are a lot of issues to overcome and charging in all weathers is a big part of it!
Unless you both do 100’s of miles a day you won’t need to charge at the same time.

If a car can realistically do 300 miles on a charge, then for me I would only need to charge once a week, overnight at home.
Unfortunately it doesn't always work that way and the larger batteries can take quite a few hours on a 7kwh charger to charge at home, so at some point it will be an issue. The majority of time you will want to charge overnight on the cheaper rate, so I can't see anyone wanting to get up in the middle of the night to change the charger over to another car. I just can't see the current technology being viable as batteries need to be lighter, cheaper, have a greater range without being impacted by weather and have the ability to charge quicker, although there will always be a charging limit when at home.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
User avatar
Rob
Site Admin
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Post by Rob »

Like I say, unless you both do mega miles it won’t be an issue. If you need to charge twice a week, just alternate evenings when it’s plugged in. Leave it overnight to charge on the cheaper rate.

It’s a common misconception and I was guilty of thinking the same, that you plug it in every night, but you don’t need to.

The way tech has progressed over the last couple of years I think we’re only a couple of years away from either 500 mile ranges or faster charging.

I’m no EV enthusiast and I think they’re expensive at the moment as well but I can see how they can work for a lot of people.
User avatar
Rizmo
Posts: 2546
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:13 pm
Location: Peterlee, Co Durham

Post by Rizmo »

Expensive to buy, expensive to insure and the residuals are terrible. The dealers do not want used EV's.
Puma ST-Line-Vignale 155 manual, magnetic grey, DAP, electric tailgate. New in December 2021.
DB74
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Location: Suffolk

Post by DB74 »

Rob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm Like I say, unless you both do mega miles it won’t be an issue. If you need to charge twice a week, just alternate evenings when it’s plugged in. Leave it overnight to charge on the cheaper rate.

It’s a common misconception and I was guilty of thinking the same, that you plug it in every night, but you don’t need to.

The way tech has progressed over the last couple of years I think we’re only a couple of years away from either 500 mile ranges or faster charging.

I’m no EV enthusiast and I think they’re expensive at the moment as well but I can see how they can work for a lot of people.
Faster charging won't be available at home and unless you have 3 phase then 7kwh will be the max. The larger the range the larger the battery and the longer it will take to charge. It should be fine to charge cars on different days for the majority of times, but there will always be times when you either drive further than expected or need a fuller charge, or the weather has killed off your expected range (whether cold or hot). The weather also impacts the speed of the charge, which is something else they need to resolve. My daughter has a car and my son will be learning next year, so with that, my Puma and the wife's car then it would be quite a task to charge 4 cars on one charger and we are fortunate enough to have a drive!
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
User avatar
Sparks
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Post by Sparks »

DB74 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm Like I say, unless you both do mega miles it won’t be an issue. If you need to charge twice a week, just alternate evenings when it’s plugged in. Leave it overnight to charge on the cheaper rate.

It’s a common misconception and I was guilty of thinking the same, that you plug it in every night, but you don’t need to.

The way tech has progressed over the last couple of years I think we’re only a couple of years away from either 500 mile ranges or faster charging.

I’m no EV enthusiast and I think they’re expensive at the moment as well but I can see how they can work for a lot of people.
Faster charging won't be available at home and unless you have 3 phase then 7kwh will be the max. The larger the range the larger the battery and the longer it will take to charge. It should be fine to charge cars on different days for the majority of times, but there will always be times when you either drive further than expected or need a fuller charge, or the weather has killed off your expected range (whether cold or hot). The weather also impacts the speed of the charge, which is something else they need to resolve. My daughter has a car and my son will be learning next year, so with that, my Puma and the wife's car then it would be quite a task to charge 4 cars on one charger and we are fortunate enough to have a drive!
But charging at home isn't and shouldn't be your only option. Granted it's different around the country, but we have loads of street chargers around here a friend of mine only charges his when he's at work and he has a drive and home charging. I know it's going to be hard for some, but, it's not going to wait around until everyone is happy.
Batteries are only going to become faster charging and lighter pretty quickly as the technology moves on, alleviating the problems all round. I take the point that we are not quite there yet, but, eventually we will be.
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
DB74
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu May 04, 2023 3:36 pm
Location: Suffolk

Post by DB74 »

Sparks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:09 am
DB74 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm
Rob wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm Like I say, unless you both do mega miles it won’t be an issue. If you need to charge twice a week, just alternate evenings when it’s plugged in. Leave it overnight to charge on the cheaper rate.

It’s a common misconception and I was guilty of thinking the same, that you plug it in every night, but you don’t need to.

The way tech has progressed over the last couple of years I think we’re only a couple of years away from either 500 mile ranges or faster charging.

I’m no EV enthusiast and I think they’re expensive at the moment as well but I can see how they can work for a lot of people.
Faster charging won't be available at home and unless you have 3 phase then 7kwh will be the max. The larger the range the larger the battery and the longer it will take to charge. It should be fine to charge cars on different days for the majority of times, but there will always be times when you either drive further than expected or need a fuller charge, or the weather has killed off your expected range (whether cold or hot). The weather also impacts the speed of the charge, which is something else they need to resolve. My daughter has a car and my son will be learning next year, so with that, my Puma and the wife's car then it would be quite a task to charge 4 cars on one charger and we are fortunate enough to have a drive!
But charging at home isn't and shouldn't be your only option. Granted it's different around the country, but we have loads of street chargers around here a friend of mine only charges his when he's at work and he has a drive and home charging. I know it's going to be hard for some, but, it's not going to wait around until everyone is happy.
Batteries are only going to become faster charging and lighter pretty quickly as the technology moves on, alleviating the problems all round. I take the point that we are not quite there yet, but, eventually we will be.
Don't get me started on charging away from home as that's another major issue :D . Not only are the costs a lot higher but I also found it was a 50/50 chance whether it would work or not.
Puma ST, Desert Island Blue with Driver Assistance Pack.
User avatar
Sparks
Posts: 4281
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:40 pm
Location: Warwickshire

Post by Sparks »

I feel your pain... :D
Thinking about it, all these arguments must have been put forward by those who didn't want to give up their horses as there were no filling stations anywhere etc etc etc... :lol:
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
Post Reply