Rusty rear discs

Faults and Technical chat for the Ford Puma
excooperS

Post by excooperS »

Anyone had this problem? Dealer says it needs new pads and discs (60% worn after 4 years and 35000 miles, compared with only 30% wear at front) at an extortionate cost. Does this sound feasible?

Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Huge thread already on this.... viewtopic.php?t=2810
Ford Puma ST-Line Vignale 155 Automatic.
Driver Assistance Pack. Power Tailgate etc. etc....Frozen White. 🚷🚳
Wireless Android Auto. 8-)
Previous Puma ST-Line X First Edition.
rothers

Post by rothers »

How much have they quoted you for new rear discs and pads ?
72 plate Puma ST-Line X 155
Mike

Post by Mike »

rothers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:53 pm How much have they quoted you for new rear discs and pads ?
my 155 st line x would have been 460 for rear disc/pads approx 2.5 yrs ago if ford hadn't done them under warranty which is crazy. Would have done them myself if not covered.
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )
Smartguy67

Post by Smartguy67 »

Mike wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:43 pm
rothers wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:53 pm How much have they quoted you for new rear discs and pads ?
my 155 st line x would have been 460 for rear disc/pads approx 2.5 yrs ago if ford hadn't done them under warranty which is crazy. Would have done them myself if not covered.
That's a ridiculous price. It's an hours job for discs and pads. Here's some prices from Right Car who are a Ford dealer. The Puma isn't listed but work on Fiesta prices at £179.00. I would be doing them myself.

https://www.rightcar.co.uk/service/ford-motorcraft/
2024 Ford Puma 1.0 Vignale 155PS DCT, Grey Matter

2015 Kuga Titanium 2.0 150 Manual, Retro Fitted Sync3 with 3.4 software, F12 maps.
MrT

Post by MrT »

If the car is out of warranty, you might as well replace the parts yourself, or have the work done by a local garage. Last year I had front discs and pads fitted on my wife’s Citroen C1by a local garage I trusted. As far as I can recall, the cost of parts and labour was well under £200. Could have been as low as £150.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I can do most things myself luckily, was talking to a lad who took his car to a mates garage . He had an older bog standard golf and Vw wanted over 1K to do discs/ pads all round.
Think my mate did them all for something like £280.00
ST Line X 155 Agate Black with comfort pack plus spare wheel( sold :( )

Post by 4251 »

MrT wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:49 am If the car is out of warranty, you might as well replace the parts yourself, or have the work done by a local garage. Last year I had front discs and pads fitted on my wife’s Citroen C1by a local garage I trusted. As far as I can recall, the cost of parts and labour was well under £200. Could have been as low as £150.
Even if it’s in warranty makes absolutely no difference, just use Ford parts.

Post by 4251 »

IMG_0358.jpeg

I replaced the rear discs and pads on ours at the weekend. Genuine ford discs and Brembo Pads, clips and bolts. Total cost about £200.

It’s an easy job with a wind back tool. I just have one of those cheap square universal ones and it worked fine. Here’s some tips:

To get the piston back I removed the disc and re mounted the holder and caliper. I wedged a large socket that fitted behind the caliper and bottom of shock absorber, to prevent it from sliding back. Using the tool in a ratchet I applied pressure and wound back the piston relatively easily. Note: Spray the piston seal with silicon and make sure it stays put and doesn’t twist, it might initially until freed.

The clips are a bit nasty and easily distorted. The pads turn about 30 deg and pop out through the gap. They go back in the same way, ideally with new clips. Make sure you have the orientation correct! The clips can get the pad holding area pushed in, if so you won’t get the pad in, need to pull/bend it back to the outside to allow a gap to get the pad in. Fact is, if the pads don’t go in fairly easily you have a distorted clip or the pad is upside down, easily done.

It’s one of those jobs that is easy after you’ve done it once. I believe the none ST’s have the same clip type on the front too, the rear disc/ calipers are the same on all models with discs on rear. The ST’s have a larger caliper/disc on the front with a more conventional caliper.

Oh, ours has 12k on it and nearly three years old, the rear discs were a manky mess.

IMG_0358.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

Post by 4251 »

IMG_0362.jpeg

Nice and shiny now!